Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Bloke walks in and starts scanning the frames. “can I help you?” he ignores me so I walk up “CAN I help you?” “umm do you have and wrap around glasses” “sun glasses or ophthalmic?” “what?” “sun glasses or normal glasses” “ohh normal” “are the for a prescription?” “yes” “well can I see the prescription then” “ohh ok” “right this is just for some normal reading glasses, so a wrap around frame would not be the best choice” “how come?” “ well your prescription lens is to made up with 3 very accurately worked curves, their radius for curvature is to be worked to 100th of a millimetre. To make the thinnest flattest best form lens possible, ensuring the best optical quality and performance. To do that with a wrap around pair, you are working with and already curved surface. So working those curves on is going to make a much thicker lens and a flatter lens is better. There are lenses on the market that are designed to reduce the distortions caused by the curves and thin the lenses but the cost is 2 to 3 times what a normal lens costs.” “what?” if you want a wrap pair then lenses will cost more and not work as well as normal pair” “ohh…(he stands there for a bit) can I have sunglasses?” “you can. Is that a different thing to these readers?” “no its just sunglasses are wrap” “right, you can have what ever you want, all im saying is that lenses into ANY wrap frame in that prescription will cos more and not be as good, so if you what to spend the money I’m willing to do it” “umm” “when you look threw a window there is very little distortion that is because the glass is flat, if you look threw a goldfish bowl there’s lots of distortion, because it is curved” “can I use my own sunglasses? I use them for riding my bike” “you can if you want, but that means you won’t be able to use them on your bike anymore” “why?” “ coz they will be made up to your reading prescription with no tint” “I don’t understand” “right forget your own sunglasses keep them as they are, in short. All you need a normal frame, with normal lenses. What you want will cost many times more” “this is complicated isn’t it” “not really, £70 pair perfect for your needs, £400 pair wont work as well” “I still don’t understand, this is complicated” “£70 pair ideal, what you want £400 and not as good” “im gonna have to go and try and work all this out”

No comments: