Wednesday, October 31, 2007

65 days of static was really good

The only thing that let them down was the venue. It’s an exam hall. So the acoustics are shit and they’re a bit of distortion. That got sorted after a while though. Credit to the sound guy.

Support was from tired irie and youthmovies. Now to be fir I'm like most people and don’t give support bands much of a chance. I have a listen to a few songs, and if there shocking go to the bar. Tired irie where the first on and they where pretty good, the vocals where the sort of retro but modern 80’s feel thing that’s quite popular right now and it not my favourite thing but it worked. Younthmoves where pretty dire tho. They all looked like they where from different bands and they had “written” their songs 10 mins before going on. The lead bloke had an under cut and would have been the ugly one in a band like the ordinary boys. The rhythm. Looked like a 16 year old grunge/ metal wannbe. Drummer looked like their 40 year old uncle; bass looked like the longhaired jacked other tee shirt. Think rimmed black glasses mature student. Than the trumpet player looked like the gay evil little brother in wedding crashes only blonde. And each of their songs seemed to have 6 or 7 different songs in them, changing rhythm and stile total. And it just didn’t work. Like having 5 tapes set up to play in the middle of a random song on each the randomly play them in order. Then they would just stop and then all start shouting but no into their mics. It was pretty poor.

I also did my normal bump into the bad before the gig. Where I look at them and they look at me not knowing whether I’m a crazed fool or not. And weather I’m going to ask them for an autograph or ask them for there skin so I can make a suit. But I just say hi and ignore them, for that is the done thing.

65 days of static are rapidly become one of my favrote ever bands. Post rock is a strange crowed. Everyone just zones out. There is no mosh pit, just a bit of involuntary head bobbing and a few people wavering their arms. You almost zone out so much you forget to clap. So I imagine the band thinks everyone hates them but the better they do, the less crowed response. The drummer is amazing. and the whole band swapping between there instremts and sequencesers and samplers was cool.

I also saw a front ass woman today! It could have been the daughter of the original front assed woman

No comments: